Saturday, February 9, 2008

My First Time...


Wow... it has been a while since my last post, but I'm happy to say I'm back!! I have never followed politics as closely as I'm following the '08 elections, and I'm proud to say that tonight I hit the streets to encourage folks to vote for Barack Obama in Tuesday's upcoming primaries. I have watched all of the debates and have steadily grown fonder of Barack Obama and his position on key issues.

As my husband, James and I held up posters and handed out pamphlets around Dupont Circle, I couldn't help but get chills as cars honked their horns in support of Barack Obama! As expected, there were many folks who openly voiced their distaste for him, too --one woman gently said that she'd be voting for Hillary Clinton, but mentioned that she'd like to see them on the same ticket--while one man flicked off James so furiously as he drove by that he probably would have crashed if any other cars would have been present! Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but it makes me concerned when some folks appear to be fueled by anger. Other folks seemed a bit apathetic, as they tried to cut a wide angle or divert their eyes from any Obama supporters. However, the beauty and emotion of the night could not be tainted by these negative aspects because young folks truly came out in droves to encourage people to vote for change!

One funny thing that happened was that I ran into my friend Jenna as I was chanting, "Vote for Obama on February 12th!" I locked eyes with her 3 times and each time she yelled back, "Yeah--Obama!" And as I continued to yell, "Jenna!" she kept yelling, "Yeah--Obama!!" We laughed when we finally recognized each other because in those initial moments, we were solely connecting as Obama supporters, not friends.

When the media mentions that Barack Obama has mobilized young voters, it's really true --he in turn believes that we are the future and that change starts with us. I am very hopeful that Barack Obama will be the next President of the United States. He inspires hope in me and many folks across the world. VOTE FOR CHANGE, YA'LL!

3 comments:

Jenna said...

It was totally awesome running into an Obama supporter like yourself last night! I think maybe why it took 3 times for me to recognize you is because I wasn't wearing my glasses....

All the same- great job getting the word out!

MpactJacq said...

Does that mean that you're not supporting my boy Obama?? Awww, I like to think that it was a united moment of support and not a temporary vision impairment.LOL

Julie Bent said...

Yeah--Obama! I'll be voting for him on Tuesday!